25 Fascinating Farm Books For Kids
Book images and titles are Amazon affiliate links.
Here is our selected list of 25 farm books that kids love.
Farm Books For Babies & Toddlers
1. Big Red Barn is a beautiful farm animal board book. Red what do farm animals do from morning to evening on a farm. Just like kids, they play and eat the entire day. And at nightfall, the animals go to sleep. The text rhymes in a sing-song way. This cute book is perfect for settling down babies at night time. (1-3 years)
2. Night Night Farm by Roger Priddy is a rhyming farm animals book for toddlers. As night falls in the barn, all farm animals start falling asleep one by one. Turn the pages and say goodnight to the horse, dog, and other farm animals. The rhyming is gentle and sleep-inducing. The pages have neatly cut-out flaps and magical night sky illustrations. (1-2 years) If your child loves dogs, check out more dog books for toddlers here.
3. Farm Animals: A Touch and Feel Book is a sensory farm animal book. Watch your baby delight with laughter while feeling sheep‘s fluffy fleece. Or how does a cow feel to touch? It is a sensory book with five farm animals. Each page includes fun rhyming text about the animal. A perfect book to develop toddlers’ love for farm animals. (1-3 years)
4. Farm Animals Coloring Book is for farm-loving toddlers. With 30 pictures of adorable farm animals, this coloring book promises to keep your toddler engaged for a long time. Carry along in a long trip, or take it out when stuck at home. Kids will also learn about the many physical attributes of these animals while coloring them. (2-4 years)
6. Tucked in the Barn is an adorable fictional farm animal story. A small girl who loves her barn animals so much, that she wants to sleep with them at night. Read on how her mother tries to reason with her and what the little girl replies. The pictures are brightly illustrated, and the story is endearing. You will surely get why the child wants to stay in the barn itself. This slow-paced story is perfect for your little one’s bedtime. (2-4 years)
7. First Farm Words is a popular farm book by Roger Priddy. Kids will learn about farms in this brightly illustrated book. There are plants, fruits, farm animals, machinery – a farm is a busy place. Pretty soon your child would have a rich farm vocabulary. (1-3 years)
9. Biscuit’s Pet & Play Farm Animals is a cute touch and feel farm animal board book. Go around the farm with everyone’s favorite puppy Biscuit. Kids will delight in feeling the foal’s silky mane, lamb’s woolly fur, and duck’s fuzzy feathers. The textures of the pages are nice to touch. A book that your young one can use independently. (baby – 4 years)
10. Babies On The Farm is another lift a flap book kids love. Children can never have too many of them! Introduce your 2-3 years old to the baby animals of the farm – goats, sheep, roosters, pigs, and more. The bright artwork is perfect to capture the attention of young ones. Small sentences are ideal for a short read-aloud. (0-5 years)
11. Mrs. Wishy-Washy’s Farm is a humorous farm story and its animals. Mrs. Wishy-Washy likes to keep her farm and its animals clean. But the Duck, Cow, and Pig are not happy about it and take off on their own. Their journey takes them to the big city where the adventure starts. Through various twists and turns, the now dirty animals realize that being clean is not so bad after all! A great toddler bath-time book. (2-4 years)
Farm Books For Preschoolers, Kindergarten, Elementary
12. The Farm Book is perfect for a preschool classroom read-aloud picture book. Read how father-daughter duo Bobby and Betty tend to the farm animals. The work starts early in the morning. Kids will read how to take care of sheep, cows, ponies, and other animals. (3-8 years)
13. Let’s Play I Spy Farm & Animals is an engaging preschool farm book. Kids are encouraged to find the pictures starting with particular letters. There are a total of 26 searches, each one for one letter of the English alphabet. A good book to reinforce alphabet learning for kids. Have fun spotting cows, horses, dogs, pigs, and more. (2-5 years)
14. Cam the Pig on a Farm So Big is a farm story through the eyes of a young piglet. Cam, the baby pig, likes to explore new things. Learn about all the animals living on the ranch through the eyes of Cam. The story is entertaining and engaging, with gorgeous pictures. Your young one would be hooked to learn what happens next. A perfect bedtime storybook for kids. (3-6 years)
15. Plant & Grow introduces kids to the world of farming. Kids get familiarized with planting, growing, harvesting. Beautiful images of rural scenes, tractors, and other heavy machinery complement the information well. It is a sturdy and engaging lift the flap book for preschool and kindergarten. (1-5 years)
16. Farming teaches children what happens on a farm throughout different seasons. The work in the field varies from summer to winter to spring. The farm is a busy place, with all the animals to be fed and taken care of throughout the days and years. Every season is depicted beautifully with bright-colored pictures. A popular must-have farm picture book. (4-8 years)
17. Counting Animals on the Farm is an interesting farm book with the concept of numbers. Engage your kids in searching and counting the number of each animal. Cats, dogs, rabbits, chickens – all the farm animals are there. Children can easily identify the animals. Colors are used cleverly to make the counting interesting. (2-5 years)
18. Grandpa’s Tractor is a nostalgic farm story of a grandfather and grandson enjoying a ride in a tractor. The pictures are beautiful. The big red tractor looks majestic. This book is sure to evoke memories of your own childhood farm visits. (2-4 years)
19. Farm Anatomy Activities for Kids is an educational book for kids interested to learn about farming. The book is divided into 6 chapters. Each one explains a particular aspect of the far. Read what does a farm consist of. Understand the types of soil and its ecosystem. Learn about farm crops and farm animals. How does food reach farm to home and what are the bi-products of a farm. The vocabulary is simple enough for the primary graders to understand easily. Don’t miss the cool hands-on activities. (6-10 years)
20. The Farm That Feeds Us is a farm-to-table book for children. The story takes readers to a family farm and it’s working throughout the year. Kids will read about planting corn, pollinating in Summer. Springtime keeps farmers busy in tilting fields and attending to the farm animals. Fall brings the pumpkin harvesting time. Plants need pruning in the Winter. The book is quite detailed. A great book for the elementary classroom. Combine this for activities of each season. (7-11 years)
21. Popcorn Country explains to kids how corn is planted, grown, harvested, processed. Finally, the delicious popcorn is ready! Kids will learn about different types of corn grown in the field. The pictures are big and detailed explaining each step well. Also, read about the history of America’s popular snack. (4-8 years)
22. Right This Very Minute: A Table-to-Farm Book About Food and Farming is an adorable picture book about farmers and farms. As kids enjoy the food at home, the parents talk about the source of the food. The narration shows the working of different farms with bright colorful pictures. Children learn about orange farming, strawberry picking, how maple syrup is collected, lettuce is harvested. Read about dairy farmers taking care of their animals. The diverse and all-inclusive pictures are heart-warming. (4-8 years)
23. Punk Farm is a funny farm story where animals play rock-n-roll. On a farm, as the farmer retires for the day, the animals get ready with their musical instruments. Kids will love the drummer cow, keyboard playing chicken, singing sheep, and other adorable animals. A perfect preschool classroom read. Watch the kid sing along and dance. (3-7 years)
24. The Little Farmer is a fun and educational book about growing food in the city. Kids will learn how they can grow their own food in their small apartments. The story is wonderful with beautifully illustrated pictures. Kids will be encouraged to plant and grow their own food in creative ways. (5-10 years)
25. Farm Friends narrates how a tractor helps on a farm. From carrying woods to tending lands and more, tractors are needed everywhere. Kids learn about rural life in this Lift-a-Flap book. The artwork is vibrant, and the storyline is simple. The flaps are sturdy and can take a 2-year-old’s handling. (5-6 years)
Farm Animals – Read aloud
What are farm animals?
The animals that are reared on the farm are called farm animals. These animals are used primarily for consumption, transport, or helping with day-to-day farm operations. These animals are domesticated and friendly with humans.
What can toddlers learn about farm animals?
Toddlers can learn about common farm animal names, their sounds, food habits, and family structures. They will enjoy learning to move like different farm animals. Kids can also learn about all the different types of foods we get from the farm.